Stockbridge Parish Church, Saxe Coburg Street


Built 1823
Known as (in chronological order, with denomination) Stockbridge Chapel or West Claremont Chapel of Ease (Church of Scotland )
St Bernard's (Church of Scotland)
St Bernard's Stockbridge (Church of Scotland)
Stockbridge (Church of Scotland)
Present use Church
Address 7b Saxe Coburg Street, Edinburgh, EH3 5BN (see below for changes in the street name)
Grid Reference NT 2474 7480
Location on 1930 Map
Modern Map www.streetmap.co.uk
Notes At first sight, it rather looks as though this church was built on a gap site where part of a three-storey terrace has been demolished. In actual fact, the building has been there from the time the street was designed in the 1820s. Originally called Claremont Place, the street was quickly renamed Claremont Street, and then West Claremont Street. In 1968 it was renamed yet again, to Saxe Coburg Street. Round the corner, on Henderson Row, is the Edinburgh Academy, which was founded in 1824.
Originally built as a Chapel of Ease for St Cuthbert's Parish in 1823, the building was renamed St Bernard's in 1834. The minister and much of the congregation left during the Disruption to join St Bernard's Free Church, but the building remained with the Church of Scotland. In 1980, the congregation that had originally split in 1843, and which was now back with the Church of Scotland and known as St Bernard's Davidson, merged with St Bernard's to form St Bernard's Stockbridge. It is now known as Stockbridge Parish Church
Related Websites



 


[Back to List of Churches]

[Home]