St Margaret's Parish Church, Restalrig Road South


Built 1836-37
Known as (in chronological order, with denomination) Restalrig (Church of Scotland)
St Margaret's (Church of Scotland)
Present use Church
Address 176 Restalrig Road South, Edinburgh, EH7 6EA
Grid Reference NT 2833 7448
Location on 1930 Map
Modern Map http://www.streetmap.co.uk
Notes Built for the Church of Scotland as a Chapel of Ease for South Leith Parish in 1837, this rectangular building on Restalrig Road South is on the site of a pre-12th Century church. The original church was a site of pilgrimage due to the Shrine of St Triduana beside it, which had a well and was reputed to heal eye disease. The church was destroyed around 1560 and the shrine covered over, but the churchyard continued to be used for burials. The first minister of the new building was appointed in 1870, and the Church of Scotland made it a parish church in 1912. Known for most of its life as Restalrig, it is now called as St Margaret's.
Related Websites Gazetteer for Scotland




St Margaret's Church on the left, and six-sided roof of St Triduana's Chapel on the right. Notice the blue and green plaque to the
right of the chapel entrance, which is also the entrance to an 18th century burial enclosure for the Grant family.

 


A side view of the chapel and Grant burial enclosure. The steeply-pitched roof of the two-tier chapel, which is partly below
the ground, was added in 1906

 


Historic Scotland information plaque at the entrance to the chapel

 


Inscription above the entrance to the burial enclosure and chapel

 


[Back to List of Churches]

[Home]