Bellevue Reformed Baptist Church, Mansflield Place


Built 1873-85
Known as (in chronological order, with denomination) Catholic Apostolic
Bellevue (Reformed Baptist)
Present use Mansfield Traquair Centre
Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations
Address 15 Mansfield Place, Edinburgh, EH3 6BB
Grid Reference NT 257 747
Location on 1930 Map
Modern Map www.streetmap.co.uk
Notes Situated on the corner of East London Street and Mansfield Place, this impressive church is even larger than it looks. This is because it rests upon a hall, library and offices, which are below street level and out of sight. It was built for the Catholic Apostolic Church, which had a congregation based in a small church in nearby Broughton Street, but it fell into disuse in the 1950s. It was sold to the Reformed Baptist Church in 1974 and named Bellevue, but in 1988 it was resold to the Edinburgh Brick Company. In 1998 it was purchased by the Mansfield Traquair Trust, which had been set up in 1993 to look after the fabric of the building and its murals. The Trust's excellent website gives a great deal of information about the building, including a chronology and photographs of the murals, and about the Catholic Apostolic Church.
Related Websites Mansfield Traquair Trust
Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations


 


[Back to List of Churches]

[Home]